Thursday, November 10, 2011

Comfort food

We like rice.  Jasmine to be more precise.  When we make it we tend to over estimate the amount needed.  So the other evening it was chilly and I wanted something warm and sweet to end my day.  We already used some left over rice in supper and so as I was cleaning up, I saw that there was a small amount of rice still remaining.  Wait a minute...rice, looking in fridge a little whipping cream, eggs, milk, looking in pantry raisins, cinnamon...rice pudding.  PERFECT!

I love pudding.  I have this great memory of my mom making this gooey pudding cake when I was little.  Park cake and part hot sticky, chocolatey pudding.  Divine! In the United States, pudding typically refers to a sweet milk-based dessert similar in consistency to egg based custards, though it may also refer to other types such as bread and rice pudding. There are more than 60 types of pudding! But I digress back to the food desired! Rice pudding is this dish that is warm, creamy, sweet with a teeny dash of savory to round it out.

I love allrecipes.com. It's so versatile

Here's the final recipe:
1 C prepared rice
3/4 C whipping cream
1/3 C sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/3tsp cinnamon
1/2 raisins (white or purple) for an adult kick, soak them in 1c rum until plump
1/2 C milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg beaten (only use half of this)

In a small sauce pan combine rice and cream.  Over medium heat, bring to a boil.  Reduce to low and stir in sugar, salt, cinnamon and raisins (if you didn't rehydrate them, if you did add them later).  Simmer for about 5 minutes. 

Combine the milk, vanilla and 1/2 the beaten egg.  When the 5 min has passed slowly pour the milk mixture into the rice while stirring very quickly (bits of egg not so yummy in this case).  Remove from heat and it will thicken as it cools.  Serve with extra cinnamon, whipped cream, or just enjoy as is.

Here's the end result:


Let me say that it was just what I needed.  I didn't add any nuts though, there are those who swear by adding walnuts to a rice pudding.

Do you like pudding?  What's your favorite?

Until we eat again!

P.S. I'll work on adding pictures as I make things...sometimes I get so busy with my family that I forget!

1 comment:

  1. I am thankful for my family, too. ;-) This is a terrific blog!

    ReplyDelete